Saturday, July 25, 2015

Life and other stuff

Meals at my place are usually pretty casual and eaten in front of the telly.  Very slack, I know. Last night was different, though   - roast pork, veges, gravy and apple sauce, eaten at the table and accompanied by music and something nice to drink. Followed by sponge cake with cream and strawberries.  Yum. And yes, we were celebrating.  Some weeks ago, a spot on my husband's head was diagnosed as a melanoma. It was dealt with quickly,  with  removal and stitches and a skin graft and multiple dressings. Yesterday the dressings were removed and my husband was able to wash his hair at last and had his hair cut today. The wound sites aren't pretty but they've healed and the surgeon is confident he got all the nasty stuff. So over those weeks we've gone from staring-into-the-abyss awfulness to feeling very thankful - quite a transition.

More thankful feelings today -  at least for me. At last it was time to open our Christmas in July swap parcels. Marilyn in NSW was my partner. Lucky me.  I love my new hot water bottle cover (which came complete with a hot water bottle - how good is that!) Our weather continues to be cold and wet - so I reckon that hottie will be just the thing tonight ( as long as the snowman doesn't melt.) Thanks again, Marilyn - and thanks to Cheryll for another fun swap.

There's been a bit of a crafting lull lately. I had a bad cold for ages, along with a  dose of the blues, but thankfully normal service has resumed. I now have another great-nephew (Koby)  in  Townsville, Queensland so have enjoyed making a few  little things for him. I do hope his big brothers let him play with his fish! There should be a bib as well, but it turned out to be  - um - terribly lopsided. Don't know how I managed that. It's a talent. Not tempted to have another go right away as I hate sewing curves anyway. And can't you just tell by looking at that fish that my stuffing technique needs some work.  Jodie Ric Rac, your title of Stuffing Queen is safe and  I'm sure Koby won't be nearly as picky as his great-auntie is!

12 comments:

Michelle Ridgway said...

I am so happy for you Jan...very scary stuff. I understand completely having been there too. Healing thoughts to your hubby. Enjoy your gifts xx

Chookyblue...... said...

Definitely reason to celebrate... So pleased Mr little red hen got the all clear.....

Susan said...

Great news......but is he Mr Little Red Hen or Mr Red Rooster? As scary as these experiences are, they are also very good for making us appreciate the good in our lives. I love your fish, very suitable for a NQ baby.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jan so glad to hear that your hubby is fine,love the gifts you got from Marilyn xx

creations.1 said...

Great news Jan - with all that has been happening you are allowed to have some downtime. Marilyn's gifts are lovely and your new great nephew will love his bright and jazzy gifts!!

Fiona said...

Oh Jan... you have had a tough time... so glad your man is all good and it's sorted ... love the fish you made.. just a perfect size for a little hand to hold...
Hugz

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Darling Jan glad to hear all is Ok .... Beautiful gifts xx

Author said...

I'm glad these gifts brought a smile to your face - and I'm glad your husband is on the mend too.

Michell said...

Lovely gifts received

Lorraine said...

Good news indeed - so pleased hubby's head has the all clear! Lovely gifts received and made - enjoy the return to normal programming! Looking forward to catching up later in the year!

Cheryll said...

Gorgeous gifts... Happy Christmas in July...hohoho

luckys said...

gtavapk.best
Your article gave me useful information. thank you